The Ministry of Interior and National Administration, State Department for Immigration and the Citizen has developed and is operating the Republic of Kenya Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA).
Kenya eTA is a semi-automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to Kenya. An eTA offers permission to travel and is authorised by the Government of the Republic of Kenya. An eTA does not determine whether a traveller is admissible to enter Kenya. Immigration officers will determine admissibility upon travellers’ arrival.
Kenya Citizens are exempt from the eTA.
Citizen of EAC Partner States are exempt from the eTA.
The eTA application collects biographic information and answers to eligibility questions from the traveller. eTA applications for Kenya should be submitted at least 3 days prior to travel to ensure adequate time for authorisation. Travellers can submit their applications up to 3 months prior to travel. It is highly recommended that travellers apply as soon as they have booked their accommodations and transport tickets.
If you expect to travel to Kenya regularly or have multiple trips planned, we highly encourage you to download the “Kenya Travel Authorisation” mobile app that will be made available in January. You will be able to securely save your travel documents and profile on your phone which can be reused for future travel.
Each eligible traveller is required to apply for an eTA before starting travel. It is mandatory to use the Government’s official website to submit your application. Applications submitted via third party websites will be automatically denied. For children under the age of 18, the legal guardian, parent or accompanying adult is responsible for filling the application.
Benefits of Kenya eTA system
- Kenya eTA enables travellers to submit all relevant information and documentation from the comfort of their homes before starting their trip. Travellers can enjoy peace of mind knowing that they meet the requirements for travel to Kenya.
- Travellers do not need to fill out forms on the plane or at arrival anymore.
- Kenya eTA also benefits airlines by simplifying the check-in process. Transport carriers can easily verify that travellers have been authorised to travel by the Government of the Republic of Kenya and are in possession of an approved eTA.
- Kenya eTA will improve arrival processes into the Republic of Kenya by reducing the queues on arrival for health, customs, and immigration inspections.
- Kenya eTA supports the efforts of the Republic of Kenya to digitise its government processes.